Home | Istanbul 2016 Conference images

Images of the LHF Second Beyoğlu Conference in Istanbul: ‘Levantines as pioneers of Modernization in Industry and Trade in the Ottoman Empire’, 10-12 November 2017 - call for papers - videos:

Philip Mansel giving the inaugural lecture on day 1 of the conference.

LHF trustee Jonathan Beard, The Mayor of Beyoğlu, Ahmet Misbah Demircan, LHF trustee Nuri Çolakoğlu.

Left to right: Eda Özmutaf (LHF-Izmir secretary), Nihan Artan, ?, Herman Karakulak, Fabrizio Casaretto, Deniz Doğan (Cultural Affairs Director of Beyoğlu Municipality), Lokman Ünsal (RNA – Event Org Co.), Nuri Çolakoğlu (LHF trustee), Clifford Endres, Tülay Güngen (Director of YKY Sanat Beyoğlu - venue host for day 1), Emin Saatçi.

Left to right: Melis Kaplangı (head of foreign affairs Beyoğlu Municipality), Nihan Artan, ?, Herman Karakulak, Eda Özmutaf, Beyoğlu Deputy Mayor Yasin Balcı, Mario Ebcim, Jonathan Beard, Fabrizio Casaretto, Philip Mansel (LHF trustee), Miyuki Girardelli and daughter, Nuri Çolakoğlu, Emin Saatci.

The headstone of Rev Thomas King who died 1618, now against the inner wall of the embassy chapel entrance. He was the second Anglican Chaplain (appointed by the Levant Company) of Constantinople (1614-18, tenure following William Ford c. 1611-1614). It appears the monopoly company struggled to recruit a successor for Rev King as the next chaplain in the city was Edward Pococke 1637-1640, the celebrated early Orientalist. Rev King’s headstone would have been moved at least once to this location probably from long-gone local cemeteries.
The start of one of the 2 organised tours of Beyoğlu, 12 Nov. 2017.
Start of the Büyükada tour, 12 November 2017 - Splendid Palace Hotel where the party had lunch.
According to legend these pair of neo-classical statues is all that remains from the first hotel of the island, established by a Maltese Levantine, Giacomo.
Buildings and grounds of Anadolu Kulübü, the former Prinkipo Yacht Club, established by British Levantines - a brochure from 1932.
The 2 double roofed buildings viewed from the Club are the former Castelli houses.
Agopian mansion, post 1918 served as a hotel under different names.
Fabiato mansion, the first occupant the painter Gemma Giuliana Pavlina lived here till she died. In 1910 the building was inherited by her grandson the banker Guiseppe Spiridon Fabiato and from him in 1941 passed to the also Italian Aurora Agapiu Scotta who before his death donated the property to the local San Pacifico Latin Catholic Church, which in turn later sold the property to the Turing Otomobile Club in 1998 to be used a cultural centre.
The Hacopoulos mansion, today used as the local municipal centre building. During the Allied occupation of the city it served as the ‘Grand Imperial Hotel’.
Mizzi mansion under-restoration - alternative photos:
Blaque mansion - Edward Blaque was the first mayor of the Sixth Division of the Municipality of Istanbul, which covered Galata, Pera and Tophane (the northern part of the Golden Horn).
The former Tubini family summer house.
The former Farra family mansion - archive family group.
The flagstaff on a tower edging the garden of the former Protestant Armenian arms dealer during the Ottoman era where the American flag, presumably his adopted nationality, was raised.
John Avramidis (Con Paşa) mansion.
The former house of Marxist revolutionary, theorist, Soviet politician and Red Army founder Leon Trotsky, formerly the mansion of Yanaros, now in a ruined state. Trotsky lived with his wife here from April 1929 to July 1933 having been expelled from the Soviet Union for political reasons. During his exile in Turkey, Trotsky was under the surveillance of the Turkish Police forces of Mustafa Kemal Pasha. Trotsky was also at risk from the many former White Army officers who lived on Prinkipo, officers who had opposed the October Revolution and who had been defeated by Trotsky and the Red Army in the Russian Civil War. However, Trotsky’s European supporters volunteered to serve as bodyguards and assured his safety.
Built on one of the hills of Büyükada, Hristos Hill, by the architect Alexandre Vallaury as ‘Prinkipo Palace’ as a hotel and casino but was never given permission to operate by the authorities. The massive wooden building was sold to Eleni Zarifi. The building served as a Greek orphanage until 1960 when the orphanage was transferred to the neighbouring Halki island. The building still is the largest wooden construction in Europe, but in a precarious state.
Former Greek primary school building neighbouring the orphanage building.
Museum of Princes’ Islands.
Many of the sites visited indicated on Google maps: / archive postcard views of the island:
Many thanks to our lead sponsor Beyoğlu Municipality, the venue sponsors Yapı Kredi Kazım Taşkent Art Gallery, Zografyan Greek Lycee, DünyaMirasıAdalar group (Facebook / Twitter / Dünya Mirası Adalar Kayıt Arşivi Açık Radyo) & our volunteers and support team.